My love affair with horses began many, many years ago with a Shetland pony affectionately named "Banjo". Banjo came to live us when he was just a colt. I vaguely remember my dad breaking Banjo for me to ride. A grown man on a Shetland pony must have been quite the sight. I was about five when we bought this little feller and I wanted to ride him every chance I could. My dad would saddle up the horses and my little Shetland Banjo would willingly follow behind him. Life with Banjo was not always a lovey-dovey experience. We lived across the street from the LDS church and my dad would occasionally allow me to ride by myself down and around the building. I was only out of his sight for a brief moment. It may have been just around the building but to me it was freedom! However, one day as we were making our way towards the house a truck with a loud speaker on it came by announcing the time of the rodeo and parade. This spooked Banjo who jumped and lurched forward. Now being a relaxed, confident rider, I was not quite ready for that and I fell off, splitting my head wide open. A few stitches were the result of that event. Someone once told me that Shetlands were stubborn, I am not sure if Banjo was stubborn or he just like to torment me. My dad put me the 4H horse club and Banjo and I were ready for the circuit! Well I should say I was ready, he probably should have been on the race track. While running barrels this little lightening bolt would take the first turn, the second turn and head for the third...then it would happen, he would just keep going running straight for the fence. My hands gripping the reins pulling back as hard as I could, never knowing if he was going to stop or just keep on running. Suddenly he would just stop, his nose right up against the fence. Another broken pattern and I in tears. I would dare say that between us kids, we put at least a million miles on that little guys back. He was the ride of our choice for years. Banjo lived to be about 30 years old. We didn't ride him after we out grew him, but we could never part with him. I am sure that he will be waiting for me on the other side, just waiting to take me for a wild ride.
Me, my sister and Banjo
Banjo 1980's
My love affair began with that little yellow Shetland pony. For along time I strayed away from those four-legged beasts. Then through a series of events I found myself back with my passion. This is Toddy Boy, of course if you've read any of my blogs or seen my facebook page, you know all about this horse. Toddy is my new horse love. He makes me smile after a bad day, he let's me scratch his ears and ride on his back. He takes care of me when we ride. He is my friend. And although we don't always see eye to eye, we sort of understand one another. He is much like that first pony, which makes me wonder if the two may have crossed paths somewhere before here.....



No comments:
Post a Comment